emIDE rocks

Talk about the emIDE project. Experiences, reviews, tips and tricks

4 posts | Page 1 of 1

Sonic2k

emIDE rocks
Postby Sonic2k » 26 Feb 2015 15:28

I have been looking for a free IDE for the ST Microelectronics devboards for a while now.
My options have been to either part with a lot of money, or use a very rudimentary GCC command line solution on a *nix box.

I have tried CooCox, which was just a plain waste of time.
I tried an evaluation version of Rowley CrossWorks, which again, was just painful because its Eclipse.
A trial version of Atollic Truestudio gave me a clue, but not much mind you, it was slow, and it worked only sometimes. Often I'd get absolute rubbish compiled. Also their restrictive licensing including their BS about copyright in standard header files really didn't sit well with me.

So I abandoned development for these awesome processors for a while, until this year when I decided to look again.

The first milestone was getting a toolchain running on Windows using plain gcc and the command line, I got this to work, but the problems crept in when trying to work with newlib. Even though I managed to sort that out, the compiled code crashed inexplicably when calling printf() [even though this was redirected to a serial port correctly]. The stuff I learnt there about GCC set me on the right path to emIDE.

So on Yagarto's website I saw a link to emIDE, and I installed version 2.20.
I then took my existing project that was compiling on "raw" gcc and got it compiling in emIDE. For the first time I have a proper IDE set-up and compiling for the STM32F4-Discovery.

emIDE is the closest you will get to the old Metrowerks Codewarrior which I used for many many years. A lot of the setup of emIDE came naturally to me, so without much effort at all I am compiling code, and the speed of compilation will kick any commercial tool out the water (with the same code I might add).

As a result of this I will be heavily promoting emIDE and I will also be trying to get it to compile code for commercial products we use at work.

As 2.20 stands, the only feature I would love to see, is the automatic adding of paths when a new folder is added to the project. This was the one neat feature of CodeWarrior. Other than that, don't fix what ain't broke.

I would also love to see this IDE being made to work with Freescale's chips.

EU1KY

Re: emIDE rocks
Postby EU1KY » 14 Mar 2015 10:51

+1

After I've seen emIDE, with everything working like a charm out of the box, including newlib nano, all other IDEs for ARM were removed from my PCs.

It is very easy now to distribute open source stuff with emIDE project and workspace files attached, so that inexperienced users can download and install this free IDE and build a project under Windows without the need for painful installation and configuration of GNU toolchain and build utils. Just open the project, select target, press F7 and that's it.

The only thing that remains inconvenient is Copy and Paste commands hidden in additional level of context menu. When I select some code with mouse, it becomes painful to copy it, must either dig into context menu, or put hands on the keyboard.

Sonic2k

Postby Sonic2k » 02 Sep 2015 14:30

The only thing that remains inconvenient is Copy and Paste commands hidden in additional level of context menu. When I select some code with mouse, it becomes painful to copy it, must either dig into context menu, or put hands on the keyboard.

This behaviour is inherent to the wxWidgets system used to build emIDE. Code::Blocks exhibits the same behaviour. I am currently developing a Linux application at the day job, and this annoyance is also present in my Linux install of Code::Blocks.

I don't know if it can be changed, I somehow get the feeling that this is how vxWidgets is, and cannot be changed.

Rudi

Postby Rudi » 17 Sep 2015 00:50

@Sonic2k
I agree absolutely. After loosing many hairs when I tested CooCox, Eclipse and other stuff I must also say:
emIDE rocks 8-)

4 posts | Page 1 of 1

Jump to: